How much does it cost to do a driver’s license in Nigeria?
In Nigeria, it is illegal to drive without a valid driver’s license. This is because the document granted by the government allows both non-citizens and citizens to drive. This article explains the various steps involved in obtaining a license in the country.
However, age is not the only requirement an individual must tick before he can be issued a driver’s license in Nigeria. There are steps to follow, as well as other necessary requirements. Also, obtaining this license is not free, it costs some money and the validity can be either 3 years or 5 years.
A fake driving license has been an issue in Nigeria, with numerous drivers not being able to check and recognize the difference between an original license and a fake driving license.
In Nigeria, possessing a fake driving license is a criminal offence, and it can also be useless to the carrier. This is so because; a fake driver’s license cannot be tendered as a means of identification anywhere in Nigeria.
What are the Various types of Drivers’ Licenses in Nigeria?
The Federal Road Safety Commission on its website classifies driver’s licenses into two categories – Class A driver’s licenses, and Other Classes.
However, for a proper understanding of what class you may want to apply for, here is a complete breakdown of all the types or classes of driver’s licenses in Nigeria.
- Class A License: This class of driver’s license is for those driving Motorcycles or engine vehicles below 1255cc
- Class B License: This is for motor vehicles below 3 tonnes gross weight other than motorcycles, taxis, stage carriages (an omnibus used for hire or cab in which a fee is charged,) or omnibus (any motor vehicle that carries more than six persons excluding the driver)
- Class C License: A motor vehicle of fewer than 3 tonnes gross weight, other than a motorcycle
- Class D License: Motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, taxi, stage carriage, or omnibus excluding an articulated vehicle or vehicle drawing a trailer.
- Class E License: Motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or articulated vehicle or vehicle drawing a trailer.
- Class F License: This is for agricultural machines and tractors
- Class G License: Articulated vehicles (mainly for people driving vehicles with semi-permanent or permanent pivoting joints)
- Class H License: Earthmoving vehicles(for drivers who operate heavy equipment often designed for construction operations)
- Class J License: For special, physically handicapped persons.
- Class V License: For people driving convoys (for individuals who drive holders of political and government officials for the convoying purpose)
Requirements for a New Driver’s License in Nigeria
Aside from paying the required amount for your new driver’s license, there are documents you are also required to provide before you are licensed. These requirements include:
- Driving school certificate
- Learner’s permit
- VIO Test certificate
- Birth certificate/Age declaration.
- Evidence of driver’s permit payment (bank teller or printout).
- Eye Test certificate from FRSC-approved clinics.
- National Identification Number
- The minimum age for driving is 18 years
- The terminal age for driving is 70 years
You will not be issued a driver’s license in Nigeria if any of the above-listed documents is not provided.
How to Get a New Driver’s License in Nigeria
- Pay for and attend training at an accredited driving school.
- The driving school you enrolled at will take you to the Vehicle Inspection Officers for a driving test once you’ve finished your instruction. The exam is designed to see how well you can handle the car in tight spaces, in heavy traffic, and on the crest of a hill without crashing. If you passed the exam, you will then be issued a certificate from the school.
- Visit the Driver’s Licence Centre (DLC) office near you to apply for a driver’s license. You can as well apply online via https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/
- Pay the prescribed fee to the Motor Licencing Authority (MLA) either online or at the bank. Officially, a three-year license costs N6,000 and a five-year license costs N15,000.
- If you are making your payment online, be sure to save and print the receipt and the payment form.
- Print your application form and present it to the Board of Internal Revenue (BIR) Officer and VIO at the DLC for endorsement.
- Proceeds to FRSC Information Processing Centre (IPC) for your biometric data capturing. This will include physical capture of a photograph, fingerprint, and signature.
- Obtain a temporary driver’s license valid for 60 days.
- Pick up the original driver’s license at the BIR Office after 60 days.
How Much is the Cost Of a New Drivers’ License in Nigeria?
The cost of a new driver’s license in Nigeria depends on the type you wish to apply for. Below is a breakdown of the cost of obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria
- Driving school Certificate: ₦8,000 or more depending on driving school.
- Certificate of VIO test: ₦1,000
- Certificate of eye test: ₦500
- A license for three years costs ₦6,350.
- A license valid for five years is ₦11,450
The cost of a new driver’s license is from N16,000 to N20,000 altogether.
How Much is 5 years of driver’s License Renewal in Nigeria?
Your driver’s license may be valid for either three or five years depending on the number of years you applied for. To renew your expired driver’s license follow the guidelines below
- Visit nigeriadriverslicence.org to apply online,
- Print your application form after successfully filling out the necessary sections
- You may pay your license fee in person or online at the designated banking institution. (Be sure you pay the exact amount for a 5 years license or 3 years validity as you so desire)
- If you are making your payment online, ensure to print out your payment receipt
- Bring your paperwork to the DLC and get it signed by the Board of Internal Revenue and the VIO officers
- Visit the FRSC office at the DLC near you for your biometric data collection,
- You will be issued a 60-day temporary driver’s license.
- Visit the FRSC office after 60 days to obtain your permanent driver’s license.
Do you find Mp3zion useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!