The Honjo International Scholarship Foundation is open to international students who study or plan to study in Japanese graduate school for doctoral or master’s degree. Applications can be submitted from abroad as long as an applicant is accepted to Japanese graduate school. All nationalities and research fields are welcome. Applicants may directly apply to the foundation without pre-selection by the university.
Application Deadline: 31st October 2022
Eligible Countries: International
Type: Doctoral (PhD), Masters
Number of Awards: 5 students
Duration and Value of Programme: The period of the scholarship is set in accordance with the shortest period of time required to complete the intended degree.
- ¥200,000 per month for 1 or 2 years
- ¥180,000 per month for 3 years
- ¥150,000 per month for 4 or 5 years
Travel expenses for attending an international conference, etc. will be provided with scholarship.
Eligibility: To be considered for the scholarship, the student must satisfy ALL of the requirement
- The student does not possess Japanese citizenship.
- The student must be enrolled as of April 2023 or currently applying for the academic course starting from April 2022 at a graduate school in Japan. Those who are already enrolled and those who are not enrolled yet (including people who are currently employed with jobs at the time of applying for the program) are both eligible to apply for this scholarship if you are going to be enrolled in April 2023. Those who are going to enter
- graduate schools in Autumn 2022 should apply for the 2022 program which starts accepting applications from April 1 to April 30, 2022 (scheduled).
- In principle, students enrolled in a professional graduate school are not applicable, however, those who can submit a research plan can apply for this scholarship program.
- To be eligible, the student applying for the PhD program must start the PhD course by the age of 35. Student applying for the master’s program must start the master course by the age of 30.
- The student must be able to assure the committee that he or she will be able to secure employment in their home country after graduating from a graduate school. This does not require him or her to have employment guaranteed or to return his or her home country immediately after graduating the university, but he or she is expected to have strong will of working in his or her home country in the future.
- The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and must be able to attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member.
- The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese. (no exception).
- Confirm that you are eligible to apply.
- Enter the “online application system”. Fill out the application form and upload the required documents.
- Once the documents are submitted, the application number will be issued, and PDF of your application form will be created. Please save the PDF file as you will need it when the result is announced on our website.